Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Discipline of Inspiration


I’m sitting at a quaint little coffee shop in Waco, Tx called Common Grounds. It’s that time of year when the weather is beginning to change, or we’ve at least received our first “cool” front, making it actually pleasant to be outside. Yes, I am sitting outside at almost two’oclock in the afternoon and it’s not scorching hot. The weather almost makes me giddy. A cool breeze blows and every once in a while I’ll notice a leaf falling from a tree and fluttering to the ground. I’m sitting on a velvet avocado green sofa on a charming little deck with a cinnamon roll muffin in front of me and the white noise of students talking in low voices around me. I’ve just had a conversation with a college student I know from back home and I feel revived. She’s just the kind of person I need in my life. The kind who is full of life and enthusiasm, free of cynicism, still hopeful and optimistic about the future. 

Ah, THIS. I love times like this. I feel a surge of excitement welling up within me. I see my life in a fresh light. I feel inspired.

Nothing earth-shattering has happened. Just a brief retreat from the normal routine of my life. Just a little time doing some of the things I love to do: sitting at a coffee shop, having a meaningful conversation, journaling, being in nature, having quality time with Geoff, enjoying good food and coffee and chai.

 I’ll drive back home today, back to the normal routine of my life. But, I have to ask myself this: if these things inspire me, if they help me to recover some of the excitement for life that at times seems to elude me, then why not seek them out more often? Why not seek out happy people and let their joy rub off on me? Why not slow down more often and simply enjoy some of God’s good gifts? Why not make a discipline of inspiration?

I don’t have to tell you that life is hard. An infant who’s been alive for five minutes already knows that survival is at times a grueling task. We’re harassed by struggles from without and the ever-present struggle of our own inner giants and demons. Even when all is well, we are not always well. And often we compound our own struggles by not availing ourselves of the rest and refreshment that are available to us. We may feel guilty indulging in some of life's simple pleasures. Maybe subconsciously we feel we don’t deserve them, and so foregoing them is some kind of penance. Maybe five minutes of quiet doesn't even seem possible in your current situation.

But I think it's worth fighting for the things that bring us joy, refreshment, and inspiration. I think maybe we can't afford not to fight for these things.

I'm not talking about lavish living. I'm not talking about selfishly neglecting the people or tasks that need our attention.

I'm talking about incorporating celebration into our lives. I'm talking about a way of life that seeks out those things that we know bring us joy and inspire us towards reaching our God-given potential. I'm talking about humbly opening up our hands to receive the good things the Lord has given that sweeten our days and leave us better equipped to carry out his mission on earth.

It's time we stop one-upping each other with our talk of how busy our lives are. It's time we eliminate the the unnecessary activities that only add stress and subtract peace. It's time we create space for the things that help breathe life into our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment