Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Using Your Gifts

I remember a conversation Geoff and I had some time before we were married as we drove back from the beach. We got on the topic of gifts and talents and using them well and I remember saying something like, “No one ever told when I was growing up how important this is. No one ever told me to develop my gifts in light of the fact that life is short and I only have so long to use what God has given me for good in this world.”  That’s not entirely true. My mom did encourage me to write. But, I think somewhere along the way I missed the idea that I’m actually a steward of whatever gifts I possess. They aren’t mine to hoard or to hide or to hinder. I don’t have the right to say, “That’s not my gift” when everyone around me is affirming that it is. 

Now, I’m getting all up in my own business with this post because I am greatly skilled in denial when it comes to my gifts. I can clearly see where you’re gifted, but it gets a little foggy when the gaze is turned inward. And let’s be honest—I’m also lazy. I am expert at avoiding what I know I should be doing. I like the cozy womb of my apathy. Being born and crying and breathing and growing is scary business. But the paradox is that denial and apathy and fear really don’t feel all that great. The place where we use our gifts is actually where we come most alive. New parents wait in anticipation to hear their baby’s first cry because it’s a sign of life. Our own figurative (or even literal) crying and straining in discerning and using our gifts is a sign of life and growth in us, and is ultimately life-giving for others.

Though our gifts are a deep part of who we are, it’s almost as if they are simultaneously outside of us—these facets of our personalities that need to be looked at objectively as commodities for good in the world. Or put another way, our gifts are not us. Therefore, we neither ought to feel overly attached or arrogant as their stewards, nor should we be in denial of their existence in false humility. They are what they are and it’s up to us to hone them and use them.

At a women’s conference I attended a couple weekends ago Bob Goff, author of Love Does, said in an interview that we should ask ourselves “What am I gifted at that will last?” Our time is limited, so we shouldn't spend it trying to do everything. Ultimately, he said people are what will last, so I think the takeaway is that what we choose to invest in should somehow be for the good of others. And I think asking ourselves this question can help streamline our lives. A friend who is involved in a non-profit organization told me that in a recent meeting they evaluated their activities based on their mission statement. They realized that some things they were doing needed to go because they didn't actually line up with the mission statement. They were good things, but didn't fit with their specific goals. I think we could benefit from seeing our gifts this way. We will be more effective doing a few things well and focusing our energies upon what we are naturally gifted in and passionate about than if we are exhausting ourselves by trying to live out of what we might wish we were good at. This also means that we will probably need to practice what we are good at in order to become better at it. Part of being a steward is not just doing something with what you have, but honing and developing it in order to maximize its potential.

So, what are you good at? If you're not sure, what do others say you are good at? What do you get compliments about? What excites you? And finally, what will last? How can you use what you have been entrusted with in a way that will outlive your life? It may not be big in the eyes of  the world. Maybe one of your gifst is being able to listen well to others. Make sure you're around people enough to be in a place to listen. Maybe you're moved with compassion by the suffering of the poor and the needs of the world overwhelm you. Don't be paralyzed by the magnitude of it all--let your compassion move you to action even in small ways--write encouraging notes, visit an elderly neighbor, sponsor a child, help out with a homeless ministry. Are you skilled with music, writing, speaking, or teaching? Are you good with numbers? Are you a  natural leader, planner, or organizer? Whatever your gifts may be, find an outlet and let others benefit from them.The world needs what you have to offer.





No comments:

Post a Comment