Thursday, November 29, 2012

When Cups Overflow

I was contemplating what to make for dinner tonight. That seems to be a never-ending question, doesn't it? What to make to feed these bodies? Pulling up to our apartment, I noticed Geoff's car, and  was surprised to see him home in the middle of the afternoon. When I walked in, he informed me that a friend of ours had made us dinner and so he had come home during a break to drop it off. And just like that, dinner was taken care of. Such a small thing, but it really blessed me. It meant I didn't have to go to the grocery store, didn't have to spend time cooking, and instead could spend that time doing something else (like writing this post =).

My heart was so full; I found myself saying...man, I need a bigger cup to hold all these blessings! It seems everywhere I turn lately, I am finding some blessing, some provision, some reminder of the faithfulness and kindness of the Lord. I know the whole cup imagery is just that--imagery, but it's just so fitting. King David uses it in Psalm 23 when he says, "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows." Not only is his cup full, it overflows. And I can say that not only has the Lord given me what I need, I have more than enough.  No, we didn't win the lottery. We didn't have some big nest egg when we got married. Geoff is still a private teacher, and I don't even work full time. But we have enough...more than enough. And compared to many, we are rich indeed. But I don't need a bigger cup to hold it all. We don't need a bigger apartment, more space to hold our belongings. I don't need or want to "build barns" to store more (see Luke 12:18).

I want to stand here, drenched in these blessings, lavished not only with material goods, but with the love of Christ (I have been called a child of God--and get to call God Father!--I John 3:1), and allow blessing to overflow into the lives of others, both near and far. I don't want a bigger cup--I want open hands. I want a surrendered calendar. I want an increased capacity for loving people when the introvert in me just wants to go home and take a nap. Don't get me wrong, naps are good, and sometimes can be the most God-honoring thing we can do, but I don't have to have them. I don't have to have "me time." Perhaps I'll see the power of Jesus in me the most when I've reached my limit, but press on to hear him say, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (II Corinthians 12:9).

The amazing thing about that meal from our friend is that it didn't come from someone who has a lot of extra to give. I know her story. I know (some of) her struggles. I know she is a single mom who works multiple jobs to provide for her children. But she wanted to bless us, and she did.

And because of her, my cup is running over a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment