Friday, January 4, 2013

Things I Won't Regret


Disclaimer: Sometimes I think a lot. Sometimes I think serious thoughts. Sometimes I share those thoughts here. So, if you want to read a blog that doesn't make you think about serious stuff, this might not be the one for you. Bear with me--this is my story--the only one I have, and I'm convinced more and more every day that I am a steward of it, and that stories are meant to be shared. For me, for some reason, that means sharing bits of that story in writing. It's something I can't get away from. You may think I sound like some kind of religious fanatic. And I suppose that's ok, although not necessarily accurate. It's just that when something or someone is important to you, you talk about it. It would be inauthentic not to, right? For me, that Someone is Jesus. So, I invite you into my story--into my life. I'm really glad you are here =). 

I was browsing through old documents saved on my computer tonight and ran across this list and the paragraph that follows, written in May of 2009. I'm not sure what I was thinking or going through at the time, but it seemed so fitting to read it tonight, in light of the recent loss of a friend and so much reflecting upon what really matters. It seems so obvious, but perhaps we don't always see it? That the way to have no regrets is to live life doing the things we know we won't regret. Maybe instead of trying hard to avoid loss or pain, we could go hard in the direction of the things we know to be good--the things that ring with the song of a life well lived? This is the song I want playing through my days...
 

Things I know I won’t regret at the end of my life:
May 20, 2009

  
Being merciful, gracious, patient, kind…

Generosity…even when it doesn’t make sense

Laughter that flows from a joyful heart (and isn’t at the expense of someone else)

Rejoicing with those who rejoice

Weeping with those who weep

Giving to the homeless

Time spent in prayer

Knowing Jesus

Enjoying creation

Standing for truth

Advocating for those in need

Encouraging others

Giving grace

Choosing love over a grudge

Authentic relationships

Investing in others

Loving my family

Writing words that point to the beauty of the Lord

Reflecting on, cherishing, and living the Gospel

Reading books that inspire

Giving hugs

Smiling

Writing notes of encouragement

Mentoring

Sharing the love of Christ

Memorizing and meditating upon Scripture

Being a part of sharing Christ with those who have never heard

Spending time in prayer

I want to always err on the side of radical love, relentless grace, untiring prayer, lavish generosity, and absolute abandonment to Jesus Christ--loving and treasuring Him above all, and spreading the honor of His name wherever He grants me opportunity. I know that when I come to the end of my life (should I have time to reflect), I will not regret doing the things that I have listed. I don’t think there is a danger of being too merciful, too gracious, too kind, or too generous (against such there is no law!). And how could one ever regret a life poured out in humble, reverent worship to the King, when that is what life will be about when all is made new? This vision is impossible without His empowering and sustaining grace in my life, so I look to Him and plead with Him to be strong in my weakness and to work supernaturally through me to the glory of His name. May HE be forever praised!
 ------
Friends, I have a long way to go. But, I press on.
What would your list say? 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Avery, I needed to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome, Rose! Blessings to you this New Year!

    ReplyDelete