Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Tool for Reflection



One of my resolutions for the New Year was to write for at least ten minutes a day on the days that I'm not already blogging. I set a kitchen timer, open a word document, and type about whatever comes to mind, trying to not give too much thought to how any of it actually sounds. The idea is simply to practice writing. Often, I will write about the activities of the day, reflecting upon particular moments that stand out, things that brought me joy or that I want to learn to do better. And what I have discovered is that this practice is not only a beneficial writing exercise, but that it is a beneficial life exercise. Here's why: as you think back on your day, you are forced to remember the things that took place. Sounds fairly obvious, right? But, if a time is not set aside to do this, chances are, much of the activities of the day will be forgotten, and opportunities for reflection and growth will be lost. By writing, you are able to relive moments and to pause and consider how you may have done things differently, how you could have responded better in specific situations. You can also see moments where you did things well, and note how you can act similarly in the future. This can also be an excellent way to grow in gratitude, for from start to finish, our days are packed with things for which to give thanks. If we would only take the time to look back, we would notice myriads of blessings that may have passed by unnoticed at the time. Often, my joy is increased as I am reminded of highlights throughout my day, and it's not unusual for a smile to come to my face as I enter into and reflect upon those moments once again.

For much of my life, I have valued the practice of living reflectively (hence the name of this blog). I have boxes filled with journals and have often sought to sit in silence in order to process events in my life. But I have noticed myself declining in this area recently. It’s a little embarrassing to admit, but I have often been guilty of totally missing something Geoff has told me because I was scrolling through Facebook or looking at my phone. I would have thought that I was listening, but come to find out, I heard only a small part of what he said. I’ve also noticed that my attention span isn’t what it used to be. I’m not sure if it’s due to social media and the mindless clicking of whatever link that catches my attention, but I wouldn’t be surprised. We can so easily become receivers of information with little opportunity to actually process what comes through our senses. We can become disconnected and lose our ability to focus and to be fully engaged in the moment. But spending time writing every day (along with less idle scrolling and clicking) is a way to combat the atrophy of our attention and to anchor ourselves in the moment. It’s a way to produce thoughts and ideas rather than merely being a recipient of information. It’s a way of  living more actively and less passively. 

In his book When I Don't Desire God, John Piper discusses the importance of taking notes while reading Scripture as a means of being more engaged with the content. What he says about writing is helpful in general, I think:

"Writing is a way of slowing us down and opening our eyes to see what we do not otherwise see. This struck me so forcefully one day that I paused and wrote:

                 I know not how the light is shed,
                        Nor understand this lens
                 I only know that there are eyes
                        In pencils and in pens."

I have definitely found this to be true. Writing helps us to see things about ourselves and about God and the world, that we might not see without pen (or laptop) in hand. So, even if you don't consider yourself a writer or even think you enjoy writing, perhaps you could still benefit from this practice once a day? Maybe make it an experiment to write for ten--even five--minutes each evening, for the next thirty days and see what kind of effect it has upon you. You might be surprised by what you learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment