Thursday, February 27, 2014

Say it Today

There is always sadness in the world. That's nothing new. But it seems lately that there is an extra amount of sadness and loss around me. The loss of Geoff's grandfather, Papaw Felix. Friends losing loved ones. Violence and death in my city and around the world.

With all of this loss, and the kind words spoken in the midst of grief, I've found myself wondering,
but do we honor people enough while they are with us, while we have the chance to speak with them face to face?

I am all for honoring people when they have died, but how sad it would if our loved ones never heard while they are living the things we would say at their funerals.

Why wait to truly celebrate a life until a person breathes their last? Why not make birthdays more than cake and present time, but a chance to stand in awe of a never-to-be-replicated creation of God, an opportunity to lavish encouragement and kinds words on our loved ones (true things, not flattery)? In fact, why not do that every day? Why wait to offer the encouragement and praise that could enrich, and maybe even transform a life?

Proverbs 12:25 says, "Anxiety weighs down the human heart, but a good word cheers it up." I know, as I'm sure you do as well, the power of words. Some words have caused me to retreat. Some negative words have so entwined themselves into my psyche that it's taken years to unravel their damage. Other words have inspired me to be the best version of myself and have been invaluable in helping me to persevere through difficulties. In the same way that a negative or unkind word can push us over the edge in making us want to give up or walk away from some dream, so a kind, encouraging word can be just the push we need to keep moving in the direction of our calling. Hearing that others believe in us, that they see beauty and potential and unique possibility in us--this breathes life into our souls.

Please hear me when I say I write this for myself just as much as anyone else who may benefit from this reminder. This might sound morbid (in this case, the end justifies the  means), but sometimes I try to imagine what I would say about a person I know, were I to speak at their funeral. Then, I try to find a way to say those things. Unfortunately, I don't do this often enough. Too often I let time pass and the routine of my life get in the way of saying those life-giving words.

So, it is to myself and to you that I pose these questions:

Is there a word you've been meaning to speak, but have put off saying? Loved ones who need to hear how you love and appreciate them? A "thank you" that has gone unpoken?

Say it today. Let's liberally scatter our kinds words while we have the chance. We're not guaranteed another opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment